Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Handy? Me?

Just for the warning's sake. This post has NOTHING to do with Japan. Ok, maybe a little Japan thrown in there, but that's more because of location, location, location than anything else. Not because it has anything to do with our lives here..

Not sure yet. I know one thing for certain, I know NOTHING about wood. Yup. Nothing. Not even what wood I want to use to build a toddler bed. Nope. Not a thing. Know what a biscuit is? Nope, not me (well, now I do). How about where to get decent priced wood? Now that, I kind of know.. LOL Ok, so they might have sorta told me where to get it at the wood hobby shop on base. And where is all of this coming from? Well, I decided (being the brilliant woman that I am) that since I couldn't find a toddler bed on base, I'd just have one shipped. EEEHHH. WRONG. Nope, too heavy, won't ship to APO/FPO. Well darn. Then I thought I'd look at the exchange's website and order one (we can do that), and there were some cute ones, but the only ones I wanted were all like $200+. And then my Mom did it. She did it alright. Darn woman introduced me to Ana White. Oh yeah Mom, you did it...

So, I look at this woman's blog. Not only does Mom point me DIRECTLY to the cutest darned toddler bed, she tells me that since I can build Ikea furniture with no problems, I should be able to do this. Oh, and I should look at other things on the blog. Oh GOSH did she do it then... Did you know that there's also a twin sized bed that matches that toddler bed? That toddler bed is a scaled down version of it.. OOHH and THEN there's also a queen sized bed like it (I don't want it, but OMGOSH my entire house could match). So now I'm determined. I'm determined not only am I going to make a toddler bed for Molly, why, I think I'm also going to make Kadie a new twin bed with trundle (oh yeah, there are plans for a trundle) because the movers screwed up Kadie's bed. However, in the meantime (after talking to the girl at the wood hobby shop), I can bring in Kadie's bed and we can probably fix it. Woo hoo for that! Anyhoot, back on track here. Yeah. I've decided I now hate everything that is wood (or well, MDF and particle board) in this house and want to make it myself and replace it. Oh yeah. And if you know me, you know what that means.. I'll have a half finished house.. LOL

In all seriousness though, I really do want to make a toddler bed for Molly. After that, we'll see where we go next. I'll probably fix Kadie's bed and leave it be for now. If all goes well, then I'll make side tables for our front room.. We need side tables that I like - desperately. I have cheapo ones from Ikea. And when I say cheapo, I mean cheapo - we're talking $7.99 baby! So I'd like to make this (oh and I LOVE the third picture down.. sooo beachy)... And while we're at it.. This too.. And this.. And well, I could keep going, but you get the idea. There is a LOT I want to build. Heck, I can even re-build the storage cube bookcases we have right now. Oh that would be wonderful, I could have them in a color I like..

In other words, I want to build a lot which means I have a lot of work ahead of me. That's fine and dandy, if only I knew a single thing about wood other than it's hard. LOL So I headed into the wood hobby shop today (finding it was a feat in itself), and had a lovely chat with a girl who worked in there. Got an idea of what it'll take me to do it, but nothing on price, or even wood since all they have is maple and cherry and since she's only going to be in this bed for a couple of years, I am not too keen on spending that much on wood. (oh and btw, typical MWR run thing, they were out of wood until today). We had a nice little chat about different things where I realized I'm in WAY over my head, but hey, has that EVER stopped me? Nah, I didn't think so. :) So, now I will be stopping in again tomorrow to talk to the manager about what wood type he suggests.

uh huh. Yup. I'm in trouble.

2 comments:

  1. That toddler bed is ADORABLE!!!!
    Now I am going to be hooked on that website, thanks a lot! LOL
    I also really like that desk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Amanda - it's awesome right?? It's $30/month to use the wood shop on base (or $2/hour or $10/day). I'm SO making that bed, and if all goes well, then I'll make Kadie the matching twin bed. (with trundle). I'd totally do it with you if you want to try and build anything! I found out today that a friend's DH had built a lot of furniture, so she said she'll have him help me! I'm so excited!!!

    OH and BEST of all.. Carpentry burns 300 calories PER HOUR in the average woman! :P

    ReplyDelete